Sometimes in the rush of preparing to travel and traveling, we often times forget our health and most times are unprepared when we take ill. I must admit I have never paid for travel insurance. I know, I know, it's not good but I definitely learned my lesson. In all my years of traveling I've only gotten sick once and that was when I went on a seven day cruise on Carnival Glory. It was 50% terrible but I was able to soldier through the vacation and have fun on the trip.
Since then, I've been able to successfully stay healthy while traveling and here are my tips:
1. Drink lots of water - water is definitely a source of life and drinking lots of water while traveling is not only healthy but keeps you hydrated. If you are able to get your hands on alkaline water, even better! I try to drink a minium of 4 bottles of water a day but most times I drink more.
2. I stick to vegan meals - First off I am not a vegetarian or vegan but I have found that sticking to vegan or vegetarian meals while traveling helps my immunity system. I also keep my sugar intake to a minimum. I know most people like to go crazy on vacation and eat everything in their path but sticking to healthy foods goes a long way.
3. I exercise - If a gym is available I'm definitely using it. If there is no gym I will do simple exercises in my room or do lots of walking to get some form of cardio in to burn calories.
4. I carry meds - I carry energy C/vitamin C tablets, travel size first aid kit, and some other little things in case of an emergency, however there are some places where you are not permitted to carry over the counter drugs and this is where knowledge of home remedies for any health emergency is necessary.
5. Travel insurance - now some people are against travel insurance but you never know what could happen on any trip and having travel insurance can be a life saver especially if you have an accident where you need hospital care.
Those are my tips for keeping healthy while traveling. One thing I forgot to mention is that you should always check and make sure you have certain required shots before traveling to certain countries. Yes, I know some people might be against immunization or medical shots but believe me if you are going to a country known for measles or polio, guess what? Your going to get it if you never got the shot for that disease. So be mindful of your health and stay healthy ALWAYS.
Do you have special health tips you follow while traveling? Leave a comment below.